21 October 2007

Oyster Fest

We went to the St. Mary's County Oyster Festival on Saturday with Jim and Stasha. The drive was pretty long and we got a late start. Stasha has a little too much fun the night before (props) and for once Sean and I were actually ready to go before them. Which I should mention is always my fault. View from the St. Mary's/Solomons Island Bridge? Not sure which one. View from the sun roof, gorgeous day! Fried oyster were awesome. Big Ass Cow. No, it is not a bull. The farmer said it was female. I was taking the day as a challenge. I had full intentions of downing raw oysters and taking oysters shooter after oyster shooter like a champ (BTW did not see any of those). I always want to like them but, the day proved again that I can not handle their squishy, flaccid, mucus like texture.Pictured here are grilled oysters. Did not like. Stasha and I played the old throw a pigpong ball into a little tiny glass bowl. On my very last try I sunk one! My new fish.

1 comment:

passenger zephyr said...

big cow is a watusi. type of cattle.

wiki:Watusi

Watusi are medium-sized animals, with long, large-diameter horns, they attract attention wherever they appear. These regal animals can easily trace their ancestry back more than 6,000 years and have often been referred to as "cattle of kings." Horns are long and symmetrical, with a base large and proportional to horn length. Lyre and circular shapes are preferable to flat. The Ankole-Watusi is medium in size, with cows weighing 900 - 1200 pounds and bulls weighing 1000 - 1600 pounds. Newborn calves weigh 30 - 50 pounds. This small birth-weight makes Ankole-Watusi bulls useful for breeding to first-calf-heifers of other breeds.